Thursday, September 18, 2008

Why knitters wane in the summer months

Because your hands sweat and it just isn't pleasant to work with wool (or most fibers probably) while you have sweaty palms. I remembered this the other day when it reached 26 degrees! (78 for those of you Fahrenheitly inclined). Also, it's fun to play outside and garden and hike and all those other sunshiney more activite type things. Knitting is definately more suited to cool (or cold) evenings snuggled up on the couch.

However, because it really just doesn't get that hot ever in New Zealand (don't get me wrong, it gets warm, just not very often is it hot), I think I will be enjoying my summer evenings knitting this year... Or at least my knitting season will be extended beyond it's normal season (we'll have to see if this really holds true).

Earlier this week it was beautiful, sunshiney, and warm here in Christchurch (it's been raining again the past 2 days). So when I went out for knitting night on Tuesday I put on a springy skirt and top, but just didn't have a sweet little sweater to keep the evening chill away. Hence, in light of spring I have decided on a cardigan pattern and ordered some yarn. The pattern is this:

and the yarn is this:I have also recently found some online knitting stores that have reasonable international shipping prices. Hurray! I ordered this from Eat Sleep Knit and I'm dreaming up new projects so I can order something from Loop.

No comments: