Thursday, January 26, 2006

mitten kitten

I have successfully made my first mitten! Hurray! Living in the south, there isn't much need for mittens and I already have at least 3 pairs from living in the cold north, so I haven't had the need to knit mittens, but the want got to me. I used this really easy and fast pattern in Weekend Knits .

I knit this first mitten up last night in no time at all. I used some cheapo lion brand chunky yarn - just to be sure this pattern was a winner before I invested in some good stuff. I'm thinking if I do this pattern again that I will make a cable on the top of the mitten, just to give it a little character.

One of the women at the stitch and bitch last night said it looked like an oven mitt. I do admit that it lacks luster and shaping, but I wouldn't want to use it as an oven mitt -ouch! Anyway, I have made a mitten and she hasn't so there! A better comment I got was that I should put some eyes and a mouth on it. I think this is a great idea, but I'm pretty sure it won't happen.

I will finish the other mitten while I watch the OC this evening. Looks like some drama is going to unfold tonight, but it always does, ahh life in the OC.

This weekend I am headed to the not so LYS's to shop a few sales. Not exactly sure what I am shopping for and considering my budget (very small) I hope I don't come home with too much, but I don't have too many projects on my needles (hmmm, I do have a few shipments in transit...) But can I ever be satiated with the amount of yarn in my apartment? I think you know the answer to that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you tool. when did you start a blog? are you sending the mitten to kiki? it will match her hat.

ily said...

it isn't quite as bright as the hat, it is more bamboo colored or something. plus the wind is windy there and this gauge is pretty big. i might just have to keep them ;P