Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Catching my breath

We took a 5 day vacation almost 2 weeks ago now! Work has obviously been keeping me too busy to blog! We had a great trip up in the Abel Tasman, 4 days of kayaking and 3 nights of tenting on (or close to) the beach. For blue and me this was our first overnight paddling trip together (and my first overnight paddling trip ever) so it was a bit exciting and unnerving.

Our first day out we had perfect weather and the sea was wonderful and calm. The next morning it was perfectly calm, but by the time we got packed up and ready to head out to our next destination the waters had become rough and we struggled a bit to get our grips. But we made it safely (and sorely) and spent 2 nights at our next campsite. There were naughty possums and a beautiful estuary. On the 3rd day we got up early (in an attempt to avoid rough waters) and paddled to an island seal colony and past some sandstone arches. It was really really beautiful. We ended up not paddling all the way back to Marahau (our starting point) but instead we took a water taxi due to rough waters/inexperience. We were even more pleased with this decision when we got out in the open water on the taxi into 2 meter high swell! Yikes! Oh and we saw two little blue penguins swimming! What a treat! The bottom photo is of our first campsite bay. So nice and round. The top photo is of one of the tractors used to put the boats in/pull them out. I love that they use old tractors and they keep them so nice and pretty! The clouds are pretty amazing in it too!

2 comments:

Shrinkie said...

Ahhh gorgeous! I was lucky enough to grow up with this as my 'back yard'. And believe it or not, i too have sea kayaked the Abel Tasman! Hope we get to see you again soon!

ily said...

Kellie! Indeed NZED is a beautiful place with lots of little corners to discover! The holiday was a nice reminder of why I go to work! :D
I haven't seen you in over a month!!! I fear next week I may not be in either! Going away for work and coming back at ??? time, Tuesday. Your witchy woman is calling to you from the cupboard!